Celtic Oak - Staffordshire Bull terrier - Fila Brasileiro - Cane Corso
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment :
Retour en stock du coffret Pokémon ...
Voir le deal

Local Heroes

Local Heroes Empty Local Heroes

Message  Christine Ven 18 Déc - 8:19

Staffordshire Bull Terriers
By Victoria Ellis
That icon of the county, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, was once a fighting dog, although it can make a good pet. Victoria Ellis sticks up for our local breed affectionately known as the 'Staffie'.
The name 'Staffordshire bull terrier' originates from the area that the breed was first standardised and were officially recognised by the kennel club as a breed in 1935.
It is suggested that much of the work to achieve the high-profile status of a kennel club breed was done at a Staffordshire fanciers meetings at the Cross Guns Hotel in Cradley Heath (this was once part of south Staffordshire before the county borders were changed).
About fifty breeders met at the club and formed the original Staffordshire Terrier Club.
However, often demonised because of links to the more aggressive fighting dog, the pit bull, the Staffie has fallen out of favour with dog owners in recent years.
Unwanted
Although my father as a child owned a Staffordshire bull terrier named Peggy when he was a child, I had had very little contact with breed. My perceptions of the dog had been shaped by my father’s memories of Peggy, a dutiful and attentive dog that used to follow him around the back to back streets of terraces in Smallthorne.
So when I discovered that an RSPCA survey had discovered that the Staffordshire Bull Terrier was on the Top Ten most unwanted breeds of dog, it would be an understatement to say that my reaction was one of shock.
Statistics show that regionally the Staffie is the breed that ends up at RSPCA animal centres most frequently, followed by Rottweilers, German Shepherds and Collies.
The RSPCA argues that the common perception of a Staffie as an aggressive dog often is a by-product of the ill-informed and irresponsible owners that are more concerned with the dog’s image rather than the ownership of a pet.
RSPCA North regional superintendent David Millard, said: "Staffies have had a terrible press …our experience suggests that problems occur when bad owners exploit the Staffies' desire to please by training them to show aggression."
Adoption
The RSPCA are hoping that potential owners of Staffies will come forward and adopt an unwanted dog.
See: www.rspca.org.uk/paw
My friend's recent experience of adopting an unwanted Staffie from the Stoke on Trent City Dog's Home has been a rewarding one. She has a young daughter that has bonded quickly with the dog (ironically named Tyson!) as he is soft as a brush.
He has helped to build the self confidence of the child and her awareness of respect and love for animals is evident in the close relationship that they share.
The temperament of the Staffie has often made it a great friend to children and loyal to its owners. It is often regarded as an intelligent and active little dog that gets on well with both adults and children alike; they are affectionate dogs much preferring the company of humans than that to of over dogs.
History
Among those who know, the Staffie is highly regarded.
At one time, the most high-profile Staffie in the country must have been the Staffie dog that acted as the mascot to the Staffordshire Regiment. Howver, The Staffords were disbanded in the last round of Army reforms.
Now, it's your chance!
What do you think of the breed?
What more do you know of the history of any Staffies?
Do you like the fact that the Staffie is iconic of the county?
Do you know of any good Staffie websites?
Use the messageboard below to leave your comments....
One last thing - just like the people of its namesake county of Staffordshire, the Staffie is the dog that never stops grinning!
Victoria Ellis
last updated: 25/06/2009 at 10:14
created: 21/06/2008
Christine
Christine
Admin

http://www.celticoak-chiens-de-france.com

Revenir en haut Aller en bas